Tuesday, October 6, 2020

DOST Caraga Is Giving Coursera Grants

Caraga is also known as Caraga Administrative Region or Caraga Region and is designated as Region 13 in Mindanao. It is composed of 5 provinces – Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Dinagat Islands, Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur.

I saw one of the ads of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) Caraga on Facebook that they are giving Coursera Grants. Coursera is a website that offers online learning. I have an account there but I don’t have access to certificates because that requires a grant.

Coursera

When I saw that ad on Facebook, I immediately signed up and yesterday was our orientation (done via Facebook Live). It’s the 13th Coursera Orientation facilitated by Engr Noel M Ajor and Director Domina D Mallonga. It took about 1.5 hours but it was worth it.

Engr Ajoc explained the history on how they got the grant and the basic of taking Coursera online courses. In this time of pandemic, the demand for online learning increased and it’s a great opportunity to take online courses. The only requirement is Filipino citizens 18 years and above.

During the orientation, they provided a QR Code that served as the attendance sheet. After the orientation, when I logged to Coursera, I already received the invite from DOST. Engr Ajoc encouraged us to take a short project and test if it will really generate a certificate.

I took the Gmail project (30 minutes duration) and true enough, I got a certificate from Coursera which contain a link that would validate that the certificate indeed came from them. Their next orientation is on October 13, 2020 and there are a lot more grants to be given.

If you have plenty of time this pandemic and you have Internet access, it will be a great opportunity to learn new skills from Coursera. I already enrolled in courses from Facebook, Google and Wordpress. I commend the leadership of DOST-Caraga for this very useful project.

Please visit their FB page to sign up for their next orientation: https://www.facebook.com/DOST.Caraga 

Coursera 2

No comments:

Post a Comment