Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Walking Around Cebu City (in Pictures) Part 1 of 2

I was in Cebu Province from February 20-24, 2022 and on my first day in Cebu City (also my first time in this city) I was surprised that the area is larger than what I have expected. I thought Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City and Cebu City are close to each other the same way Pasig-Pateros-Taguig are close.

The taxi ride from the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (in Lapu-Lapu City) going to Cebu City (Magellan’s Cross) is P500. Good thing I was able to taxi-pool with two other passengers so it lower the cost to P150. I took off at Colon Street in Cebu City – the oldest road in the city. From Colon Street, I walk my way around the city center going to Carbon Market and passing by the Obelisk, the new chapel with the image of the Santo Nino de Cebu on top, an old building being restored, the statue of Jose Rizal writing “Mi Ultimo Pensamiento”, Cebu City Hall, Port San Pedro, and finally arriving at Magellan’s Cross.

I was surprised at the Magellan’s Cross – I always picture it as grand and huge but in reality, it’s like a gazebo. It’s located besides the Santo Nino de Cebu Cathedral. I continued walking around the city center, passing by the BPI building, which is an old building maintained, the Martina Sugbo Center (where a McDonalds is located), the Islands Souvenir building (with I Heart Cebu signage), the 1910 Port of Cebu 2004 Malacanan Sa Sugbo Building (being restored), and some other buildings.

I went to my hotel room to rest for a bit before I explored the city more. I stayed at AllSon’s Inn in Echavez Street for 4 days at P500 per night. From there, I walked around the vicinity in the afternoon and passed by the Heritage of Cebu monument. It’s well done and features a lot of historical events. From there, I passed by the famous Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House, the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc building, and the Casa Gorordo Museum (which was closed during my visit) along Eduardo Aboitiz Street.

IMGP1464

The Metro Department Store Supermarket along Carbon Street, Cebu City

 

IMGP1466

There are so many ukay-ukay around the area of Carbon Public Market

 

IMGP1468

Carbon Public Market, Cebu City

 

IMGP1474

A chapel dedicated to the Santo Nino de Cebu

IMGP1475

 

IMGP1476

 

IMGP1477

 

IMGP1480

Monument of Jose Rizal besides the Cebu City Hall

 

IMGP1482

Monument of Vicente Rama in front of the Cebu City Hall

 

IMGP1486

Cebu City Hall. Notice the motto “Public Office is a Public Trust”?

 

IMGP1487

The famous Magellan’s Cross besides the Santo Nino Basilica, Cebu City

 

IMGP1489

 

IMGP1490

The Magellan’s Cross is not as grand as I imagine it. It’s like a dignified gazebo.

IMGP1494

 

IMGP1495

The BPI Building besides the Santo Nino Basilica, Cebu City

 

IMGP1497

The Martina Sugbo Center near the Santo Nino Basilica, Cebu City

IMGP1499

The Islands Souvenir Center near the Santo Nino Basilica, Cebu City

 

IMGP1501

 

IMGP1503

The Malacanan de Sugbo Building being restored.

 

IMGP1504

 

IMGP1505

 

IMGP1507

Fort San Pedro, Cebu City

IMGP1511

The famous Obelisk at Colon Street, Cebu City

 

IMGP1514

Heritage of Cebu Park

 

IMGP1516

 

IMGP1519

Heritage of Cebu Park, Cebu City

 

IMGP1521

 

IMGP1527

The Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House, Cebu City

IMGP1531

 

IMGP1534

 

IMGP1539

 

IMGP1541

The Casa Gorordo Museum Complex, Cebu City

 

IMGP1542

The Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc Building along Don Eduardo Aboitiz Street, Cebu City

 

IMGP1545

The Gorordo Museum Complex, Cebu City

No comments:

Post a Comment