Sunday, July 24, 2022

Poblacion, Bulakan, Bulacan (in Pictures)

Bulakan is a coastal municipality in the province of Bulacan.

The municipality has a land area of 72.90 square kilometers or 28.15 square miles which constitutes 2.62% of Bulacan's total area. Its population as determined by the 2020 Census was 81,232. This represented 2.19% of the total population of Bulacan province, or 0.65% of the overall population of the Central Luzon region. Based on these figures, the population density is computed at 1,114 inhabitants per square kilometer or 2,886 inhabitants per square mile. Bulakan has 14 barangays. (PhilAtlas)

I studied at Bulacan State University during college. It’s located at Malolos City, Bulacan. Just next to it is the town of Bulakan (spelled with a “k”). Shameful to admit that I’ve only visited this next town recently – after 20 years since graduating college. And it’s a very quick visit. I wasn’t even there for an hour.

I was on my way to Baliwag, my boyhood town, when I simply decided “today is a nice day to visit Bulakan”. So instead of going to Baliwag, I took a side trip to Bulakan, Bulacan. I was invited to a mini-reunion by my classmates from Mariano Ponce High School (MPHS) in Baliwag for the awarding of Biggest Loser Challenge, Mayon edition.

So I did. I just visited the church of Our Lady of Assumption at the town center. It was closed during my visit unfortunately. Just opposite the church is the municipal hall (typical town plaza design during the Spanish period). There’s an old house nearby and a bust of Marcelo H del Pilar at the center of the road.

When I visit a new town, I usually visit the Rizal Monument at the town’s plaza and palengke (market). Due to time constrain, I decided to go to my original destination via Malolos, then Plaridel, Pulilan and then SM Baliwag to visit the Valenzuela Pavilion.

Here are some of the pics I took of this quiet Bulacan town.

IMGP3013

 

IMGP3015

 

IMGP3017

Ang simbahan ng Bulacan

Itinatag ng mga paring Agustino bilang visita ng Obando, 1575. Ipinatayo ang simbahang parokyal at kumbento sa patronato ng Nuestra Senora de la Asuncion, 1578. Sinakop at sinunog ng mga Ingles, 1762. Muling ipinatayo, 1812. Ipinagawa ang kampanaryo, 1877. Nasira ng lindol, 1863, 1869, at 1880. Ipinaayos sa disenyong Neo-Byzantine, 1884-1885. Natapos ang kampanaryo, 1889. Dito lihim na ipinamahagi ni Gregorio H. del Pilar ang mga polyeto sa panulat ng kanyang amaing si Marcelo H. del Pilar noong panahon ng propaganda laban sa mga Kastila. Ipinanumbalik at ipinaayos ang simbahan, 195501975.

(The marker on the facade of the church)

 

IMGP3018

 

IMGP3019

The intricate carvings on the main door of the church reminds me of the carvings on the main door of a church in Intramuros.

 

IMGP3022

 

IMGP3023

 

IMGP3024

 

IMGP3025

 

IMGP3026

 

IMGP3027

 

IMGP3028

 

IMGP3029

 

IMGP3031

 

IMGP3034

Nuestra Senora de la Asuncion, Bulakan, Bulacan

 

IMGP3035

 

IMGP3036

 

IMGP3037

 

IMGP3038

An ancestral house adjacent to the church and municipal hall.

 

IMGP3040

I believe this is the bust of Marcelo H. del Pilar.

 

IMGP3042

I believe this is the monument of Gregorio H. del Pilar. It’s very similar to his statue in front of the Bulacan Provincial Capitol in Malolos City.

 

IMGP3043

 

IMGP3044

 

IMGP3045

 

IMGP3046

No comments:

Post a Comment